Saturday, June 9, 2012
10 5 pet peeves you have:
1. The sound and feel of Styrofoam. I consider Styrofoam to be my Kryptonite. It makes this sound that gives me chills.
2. Lies. I hate it when someone, especially my child lies to me. Most of the time I can tell that she is lying and I don't like people treating me like I am an idiot. I am also a pretty forgiving and loving person. I tell Abbie that she will get in much less trouble if she tells me the truth. I might still get mad but not nearly as much as when she lies.
3. People who don't have phone etiquette. Talking on the phone in a public restroom or talking to me on the phone when they are in any bathroom. Children interrupting and trying to ask me things when I am on the phone. Opening and ending conversations without any greeting or warning. Answering the phone and texting while driving. Talking on their phone or texting when you are in the middle of a conversation with them. I don't have an issue with people answering a call if it is an emergency. Instead of phones being a great convenience and great communication tool, they are now holding people hostage. People are slaves to their phones. People expect you to answer calls and texts immediately and respond. I have found a great freedom in no longer having my own cell phone. I share with my hubby. I also mute it and will not answer if I don't feel like it. I am no longer a slave to my phone.
4. Rude children. When I see a child talk back, become physical with their parent, or disrespect adults it stirs something up inside of me. I am usually pretty good at minding my own business, but occasionally I am known for correcting other people's children. Several of my friends know that I will boss around and correct their children. I think it is so sad that we have become a country that cares so much about being politically correct. So many parents are concerned about emotionally harming their child, they give their children what they want, and they don't discipline their child. A child MUST respect adults, but adults are not required to respect a child. If the child earns the respect I will freely give it. My daughter is learning the difference between rights and privileges. Nice clothes, toys, and privacy are not rights.
5. Hypocrites. In general, I am able to love and have grace for people. Unfortunately, I have a very difficult time in showing grace to hypocrites. God has been teaching me how to have grace, through Christs example with the Pharisees. I am learning that I can't have higher expectation of people who are "religious," because that does not mean they have accepted God's grace.
Proverbs 22:6 "Start children off on the way they should go,
and even when they are old they will not turn from it."
Proverbs 13:24 "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them."
Hebrews 12:9-11 "Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."
Luke 11:39-41 "Then the Lord said to him, “Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? But now as for what is inside you—be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean for you."
Romans 3:23-26 " for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood —to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished — he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus."
What are your pet peeves? How do you respond to others when they annoy you? Would you be offended if someone other than you corrected your child?